The MOE Prescription Drug Program helps cover the cost of prescription medication for you and your family up to a per person maximum each calendar year. You are required to make a copayment for each prescription and the Fund pays the balance of the cost of the medication. To receive this benefit you must use the MOE Pharmacy. If you are unable to visit the MOE pharmacy in an emergency, you may use any Caremark network pharmacy. Simply present your local pharmacist with your card and you will be able to receive emergency medication (up to a 15-day supply) at a copayment equal to 20% of the cost of your prescription. Remember, your maintenance medication is only covered at the MOE Pharmacy.
The MOE Pharmacy will fill your prescription with a generic medication unless there is no generic available or your physician has specified “may not substitute” on the prescription. If your physician has specified “may not substitute,” the MOE Pharmacy, by law, must dispense the brand name medication prescribed.
Filling Your Prescription
PLEASE NOTE: The Midwest Benefit Pharmacy is temporarily suspending its mail order distribution of prescription drugs to those pharmacy members that reside outside of the following four states: Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Wisconsin. If you reside outside one of these four states and you need to refill your prescription medication, please contact the Midwest Benefit Pharmacy at (708) 579-6610 or (800) 323-3060 during normal business hours. A pharmacy customer service representative will be happy to assist you in locating a network pharmacy in your area. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we will notify you immediately of any changes to the procedures. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this interim period.
You may fill your prescription in person or by mail or by calling the 24/7 Automated Refill Line 866.850.9310. To have a prescription filled by mail, complete a Mail Service Order Form and send it to the Pharmacy along with your prescription or refill ticket. Please be sure to include the member’s name and social security number on the order form. You can place a refill order with the MOE Pharmacy over the telephone (24 hours a day/seven days a week) using the Pharmacy’s automated phone system, by dialing 866.850.9310, or you can call in your refill, during business hours, to the MOE Pharmacy at 708.579.6610. To order using the automated system, you will only need your prescription number and your date of birth.
Cost of Your Prescription
The MOE Pharmacy requires you to make a copayment towards the cost of your medication. The amount of your copayment depends on the medication you are taking.
- If you are taking a generic medication, your copayment is $5 per 30-day supply.
- If you are taking a brand name medication that has no generic equivalent, your copayment is $10 per 30-day supply.
- If your physician prescribes a brand name medication, which has a generic equivalent and specifies “may not substitute”, your copayment is $10 per 30-day supply plus the difference in cost between the brand name and generic medication.
- For emergency medication received at your local pharmacy through the Caremark program, your copayment is 20% of the cost of the medication.
The MOE Pharmacy will accept the following for your prescription copayment:
- Credit card—Visa and MasterCard only.
- Credit Union—if authorized by you, the Fund can charge your copayment to your Credit Union Account. To do so you must complete a Credit Union Authorization Form (147K, PDF).
- The MOE Pharmacy will not accept cash or checks for your mail or phone order copayment.
- If you are picking up your medication at the MOE Pharmacy, you may make your copayment by credit card (Visa or MasterCard only), check, or cash.
Retiree Benefits and Medicare Prescription Drug Benefits (Part D)
If you enroll with Medicare for Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage, you will lose prescription drug coverage through the Midwest Operating Engineers Health and Welfare Fund. Enrolling in Medicare Part D will not affect your other Fund health care benefits. For more information see the Notice of Prescription Drug Creditable Coverage (31K, PDF).